Friday 20 June 2014

Passionate about our city

Celebrating at the Level
The formal opening of the Level last Saturday was a happy, vibrant affair. When my partner and I arrived later in the afternoon, there was an absolute buzz about the place and a thoroughly good tea to be had at the WI stall. The skate park was feverishly busy as ever. We were really struck by well how the planting has settled and what a beautiful display there is. This photo barely does justice, but I would like to congratulate our park colleagues for their imagination and creativity in the sustainable gardens that they have produced. It is great to celebrate this renewed, safe and happy part of our city.

Planting on the Level

Celebrations on the Level
Banyan Tree Theatre group by Hannah Brackenbury

Keeping our citizens safe
I chair the Safe in the City partnership, which brings together the council, police, courts, community and voluntary sector and probation. We all work hard together to ensure that we reduce crime and keep our city and citizens safe. One issue on our agenda this week was the Syrian crisis and the concerns surrounding a small number of young people who are being persuaded that they should consider going over to Syria. Sadly one Brighton young person has already died in that conflict. All of the city’s public organisations and our Muslim community leaders share our common cause in wanting to prevent the radicalisation and death of any more young people. I hope that positive engagement and understanding will lead to a peaceful outcome for those young people for whom we have concern, and I am grateful for the enormous amount of work going to this end.

Happy news
The pursuit of happiness is an important aim and was the subject of last year’s annual report by Tom Scanlon our director of Public Health. This week we learnt that it had won the national prize for public health report of the year. I am immensely proud and delighted that Tom, his team and our graphic design team have been recognised for the work they have done. Colleagues at Public Health England informed me earlier in the year that the report had gone viral in their circles.
Our award winning report

Passionate about equalities
As I hope you know, I am passionate about promoting and championing the equalities agenda in the council and the city. We recently had a peer review of our progress against the local government equality standard and the results were encouraging; although we have no room for complacency. Clearly I can and must be an effective champion for the LGBT community. I don’t make an awful lot of noise about my gender or sexuality, but do hope that I am not only a role model, but also create the conditions for all protected groups in the council to flourish, be respected and to feel valued.
Our new LGBT workers forum logo
Out with our Cityclean crews
Finally this week, I would like to thank Doug, James and Craig the refuse crew, who allowed me to join them at 7am yesterday morning to do part of their round including Dyke Road Avenue, Chalfont Drive and Tongdean Avenue. I wanted to see at first hand the challenges of working on refuse and recycling and I certainly did that. On this particular round there is an awful lot of walking to do for a relatively small amount of refuse collected. Incidentally, we spotted a Jay and a Woodpecker along the way which was a lovely bonus. 
In the cab with Doug, Craig and James
Craig and James hard at work
 After my time with the refuse crew, I joined a recycling crew led by Steve Parsons and accompanied by another Steve and Dave and we were collecting recycling north of Hove Park. Again, I was struck by the challenges of doing the work. The team were flexible in their response to residents’ different approaches to putting out their recycling and I was really impressed with the quality of customer focus. By break time I was quite exhausted and I returned to normal duties, exhilarated by the conversations and the hard work of the morning. Many thanks to both crews and the managers who made the arrangements.
Steve Parsons and Sean South
And overnight you may have heard a couple of things; that Council Leader Jason Kitcat has announced that he will not be standing in the next local elections in 2015 following discussion with his family. Jason will continue to lead the council until May 2015.  And also that we were highly commended in UK Digital City category at last night's MJ Awards 2014 so well done to us!

Have a good weekend.

Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.