Thursday 18 June 2015

Stepping down - special blog


I am stepping down from the role of CEO of Brighton & Hove City Council. It has not been an easy decision. I don’t think my work is finished; but I do think it’s for the best. We have a new Labour Administration in the council. The Council wants to appoint a new CEO. I leave a strong, competent, highly motivated Executive Leadership Team and I hope that they can continue to deliver on the council’s ambitious and tough agenda.

I am pleased that the Administration recognises my huge contribution to the council and city over the past two and a half years. I am certainly proud of our Corporate Plan and Budget delivery and a number of key achievements besides.

Firstly, I leave an organisation with a culture underpinned by sound values and focussed on high performance in the interests of all citizens and the city. It is a far happier, more open, empowered organisation than the one I joined in November 2012. Our recent silver award of Investors in People is testimony to that. I hope the council keeps going with the culture change and performance with consequence agenda that we have embarked upon. It is essential underpinning for a Modernising, co-operative council facing huge financial challenges.

Secondly, I leave an organisation which wants the same thing as its partners, private, public and voluntary. This is a shared commitment to a vibrant economy benefitting everyone (housing and jobs being key ambitions); a good life (irrespective of age); a well- run city (safe, clean and moving) and a modern council – all combining to keep Brighton & Hove as a fantastic city to live, work and visit. And there is evidence of progress. On top of our Greater Brighton City Deal in 2014, we won the Local Government Chronicle Growth Award for 2015; being among the top performing Key City regions with a developing digital economy, a vibrant and renowned cultural offer, and falling numbers of unemployed. We have a number of exciting developments in the pipeline, among them the i360, King Alfred and Waterfront developments. Of course there remain challenges: the reducing budget; rising needs; and insufficient housing supply are just some of them. However, over the next few years, the council will be associated with keeping the city changing and developing.

Thirdly, I am proud that we are prioritising fairness for our most vulnerable citizens. Equality is the theme of our energetic and creative director of Public Health’s Annual report this year. Under the leadership of our executive director of Children’s Services we are properly attending to the experience of children at risk, children in care, children in education and those with a disability. The forthcoming Ofsted report will provide evidence of a journey well underway … not finished. Our health and wellbeing partnership between the council and health is tackling the challenges of an ageing population and high numbers of citizens with significant mental health needs or managing the ravages of drugs and alcohol. I am pleased that we have developed a profound understanding of the seamlessness required between health and social care and between prevention, primary, secondary and tertiary services. My role has been one of championing system leadership between the council and the health service and I do hope that this agenda continues to be prioritised and to flourish.

Fourthly, I personally led negotiations to resolve a long-standing equal pay issue for the council. Painful though those negotiations were, the resolution of this significant issue has enabled the council to undertake a forward looking agenda of redesign and renewal of our refuse recycling and parks services. These services in neighbourhoods are so visible and valued by citizens.  

Finally, I have sought to ensure that the council pursues equality for all including those quieter voices. As equalities champion I have modelled our values and pursued an approach which supports all protected groups to be heard and the development of the ‘One Voice’ group stands as testimony to that.  

I came into the role of chief executive clear that I would only take up the post if I were the first choice of all three leaders on the council. I have greatly relished the opportunity to work for those leaders and indeed for all 54 councillors. I am a longstanding and committed public servant who completes 40 years of public service this summer.

I will miss all the people I have worked with in the council, the city and beyond and I trust that they will continue to do a great job for this fantastic city. I want to pay special tribute to my fellow senior managers in the City Management Board, and to my own Executive Leadership team, whose support and challenge I have always valued.  

Let me end, sure in the certain knowledge that I leave behind an organisation in better shape than the one I joined. I have worked unstintingly during my time as Chief Executive of BHCC to be an #openCEO, setting a learning culture and modelling accountable managerial leadership.  

I have appreciated the fellowship of so many who have signed up to our learning and improvement journey. I hope that many of those friendships will be sustained into whatever comes next.

Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.